Monday, November 16, 2009

Leafs and Bubbles!?

Okay, so I'm doing a science experiment about leaves and bubbles.





First I need to mark a cm square on two leaves with a sharpie.


I am going to be putting a rhododendron leaf in a 100 ml beaker and a leaf in a 200 ml beaker filled with water.





After 15 minutes little bubbles start forming on the leaves, and we are suppose to count the number of bubbles on the 1 cm square.





So, I found that the leaf in the bigger beaker has more bubbles than the smaller one. How will I explain this. This is photosynthesis....?....

Leafs and Bubbles!?
It's possible that the leaf in the larger beaker has more access to more carbon dioxide since there is more water. However, I think this would be hard to analyze because more carbon dioxide can diffuse into the water from the air during the experiment. The bigger beaker will have a larger surface area for this diffusion to happen since the beaker is wider.





That's a possible answer.
Reply:This is photosynthesis.


Perhaps the 100ml beaker ran out of dissolved CO2, needed as a reactant for the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment